Saturday, January 19, 2013

Relax and speak....or not..

Public speaking- the worst assignment!

I hate public speaking. Yesterday i had to present a ten minute speech on my analysis of the tabloid newspaper-The Sun and a broadsheet- The Daily Telegraph and how they differ to each other on the reporting of celebs...( at least i had an interesting topic i suppose?)

My worst nightmare. However, after a week of planning, deprived sleep from worry, feeling sick and far too nervous to explain, i managed to do it! Very proud of myself for that fact. Some people will think its over-reacting, as i do too, but i just hate them. I hate showing my work to my fellow students, frightened of looking stupid, and i also hate standing in front of a group of students and talking about things that i know they won't be that interested in. So i was dreading it! I feel it went well.. my friends told me i had no reason to be nervous and that it was a really good presentation. I was happy afterwards- now to await my marks.

Normally when i present, i get really nervous, i over heat like I'm suddenly a mile a way from the sun and my face literally changes colour so i look like 'Po' from the Teletubbies obviously not helping my situation. Plus i also talk too fast and pronounce things how they are written..... much to the amusement of my audience. Last  Friday as an example, i had a 30 second practise speech and pronounced the film 'Les Miserables' literally as it is written (lez-miserable-s) as is Lez like the name, miserable as in i am miserable and then with an S on the end. The humiliation, as soon as i said it i knew what i had done. I decided to carry on and pretend i hadn't noticed i had pronounced it like that.. whilst the boys to the left of me laughed (morons!). Ah well.

I managed. i survived and i think it went well so i am happy.

I've always had a problem with pronouncing things i am reading to be honest, I'm really not sure what that is about. I am an intelligent person who always does well in her school work, reading and writing is one of my passions, but oh how i fail sometimes. Let me take you into my world of pronouncing:

Idiot moment #1:  Reading in Oxford, i read that for the first time as Reading a book.

Idiot moment #2: Yacht- Now this word confuses me completely i know it's a name of a boat and you would pronounce it like 'Yot', but when reading it takes my brain a few reads to realise. 

Idiot moment # 3: Les Miserables- the humiliating one, at least when i am normally reading, it is to my self hahaha!


I also find i struggle with hearing words in songs sometimes, much to the amusements of everyone.


Moronic moment #4: The song- Moves like Jagger- i for some reason generally thought the chorus said i have the moves black dragon... WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? ;) i swear...i am intelligent hahaha. 

Moronic moment #5- A kids song says: "Push Pineapple shake the tree". By the age of about 7 i asked my parents what a 'Naple' was because i thought it said "push my naple"... i think i need help. 

Moronic moment #6: The final song from Sister Act says: "you down with G.O.D?" i thought it said "T.O.D".. 


I am a strange, yet i suppose fairly entertaining person who clearly has pronunciation and hearing problems! ;)

Okay, okay, i am over with my strange little blabbering session!

Hope everyone is okay.. Thanks for all your support! (almost 1500 views, 11 followers and 32 posts)

:) xx xx

No comments:

Post a Comment